Thursday 29 May 2008

Dave talks to Francesca Cassavetti

Hello Francesca! Hello - hope you're well! We've met on a number of fun-filled occasions in the last few months, and I've devoured your entire comics oeuvre, but how would you introduce yourself and your work to someone at NoBarCodes next Saturday in Camden Lock Market who has never heard of you before?

I grew up in France avidly reading Tintin, Asterix, Spirou, Pilote etc.. so my influences are mostly European ( although New Yorker magazines and Posy Simmonds are somewhere in the mix ). My comics are mostly based around my experiences. Coming across Robert Crumb's, and L'Association's, output made me realise that autobiography could be a viable form and that other people's lives can touch a chord even if they are not identical to our own (Satrapi, Pekar, Sacco, the list is endless).



My opus about childbirth seems to speak to people, and my latest, Party Pieces dealt with the punk ethic among other stuff.

You've hung out at the Camden stall a good bit - how has that been for you?

Once I'd got over my shyness, I found the lads at LUC in equal measure entertaining, inspiring, alcoholic and quite sweet except when they squabble. Being part of their gang makes me very happy. They have even asked me to be their mum. But I draw the line at washing their socks.

What are you looking forward to most next Saturday?

Showing off a new mini comic – if I can get it done in time.

Anything you're dreading?

Not finishing in time.

Does it annoy you when people mis-spell your name? In a world without law how would you punish such people?

Yes, but I understand that not everyone is as incredibly literate as me. They should all study Latin and stop rotting their brains reading comics.

Is your surname Italian? Do you speak Italian? If so, could you answer the next question in Italian?

No, it's Greek. A little. I can answer it in French.

And finally - any message for the people out there, reading this, wishing that they too were a young, cool and sexy comics creator?

Venez nombreux a notre mini festival de BD a Camden Market, NO BARCODES, Samedi 31 Mai et soyez inspires par notre mouvement revolutionaire.



Thank you very much, Francesca Cassavetti !



STUFF AT THE BOTTOM

No Bar Codes is a one day indie comics event taking place at Camden Lock Market this Saturday. Click here for more info.

Francesca Cassavetti can be found online at www.fabtoons.com and No Bar Codes next week. Make sure you say hi and ask her if she got the new mini out in time. (Fingers crossed it's not sold out by the time you get there!)

David Baillie is over at www.davidbaillie.net and the awesome new hardback edition of his fantasy adventure Tongue of the Dead debuts at No Bar Codes. Click here for an exclusive discount voucher redeemable on the day


No comments: